Thursday, June 13, 2013

Module 1: Instructional Challenge

Hocked gems financing him, our hero defied the scornful laughter. �Think of it as an egg, not a table,� he said. Then three sturdy sisters sought proof, forging over vast calmness, and sometimes over turbulent peaks and valleys, until at last welcome winged creatures appeared, signifying monumental success.

Questions:
1. What are the hocked gems?  The hocked gems are jewels sold by someone in a hurry.
2. What should we think of as an egg and not a table?  We should think of the Earth as an egg and not a table.
3. Who are the three sturdy sisters?  The three sturdy sisters are ships.
4. What kind of winged creatures appeared?  The winged creatures that appear are birds.
If I were to use this passage with students, I would first need to activate their prior knowledge of Christopher Columbus and the ideas about the world at that time.  A great way to do that would be through a book or website.

I think that students should be introduced to everything.  Perhaps at first glance they may not be interested, but something might spark that curiosity that gets them interested.  Being introduced to everything also helps build their schema.  They may not become an expert on Christopher Columbus, but they may recall the teacher talking about him.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I had no idea that Christopher Columbus is what the passage was aimed towards. But now that I have read your answers, I can think of nothing else that would make better sense. I think that if I had been introduced to Christopher Columbus first, like you mention doing with students, I would have gotten a lot more meaning and sense out of the text. Vocabulary plays such a big role in reading, and this passage is so evident of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome how you made the connection to Christopher Columbus! Although, I did mention researching the passage, I did not do the research until after I read your blog. It is interesting to see how different minds, work differently. Now the passage makes perfect sense to me!

    ReplyDelete