Friday, June 21, 2013

Module 2: Instructional Challenge


OR: It my little monkey here.
ER: Is my little monkey here?
OR: We got to tell.
ER: We've got to tell.
OR: Frog look at Toad calendar.
ER: Frog looked at Toad's calendar.
OR: A word what sounded good.
ER: A word that sounded good.
OR: hisself
ER: himself
OR: I can come to your party?
ER: Can I come to your party?


      Looking at the examples of children’s dialect-based miscues while reading, I would have to say that while their responses were not grammatically correct these children were still proficient readers.  As their miscues are dialect-based, they are still getting the intended meaning despite their informal English.  That being said, I would still offer them assistance by modeling the expected response.  My thought process behind this again goes back to writing.  If a student wrote, “We got to tell” I would guide them toward using “We’ve got to tell.”  Writing requires that they “code-switch” to a more formal form of English so that others can understand their writing.  “We got to tell” is not going to be acceptable in middle school, high school, college, and beyond!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,

    I agree with you that it is important for us to guide the students to learn how to code-switch to standard form of English in elementary school. If they learn the differences between formal and informal English, and when it is appropriate to use them. Then they would more likely to apply it later on in middle school, high school, and college.

    ReplyDelete